MagicLink™ Protein Protein Crosslinking Kit
Figure 1 Schematic representation of three step process to prepare protein-protein linkage using MagicLink™
chemistry. Initially protein 1 and 2 is modified to introduce a MAGIC group or LINK group, and subsequently
instantly react with each other after removal the excess Magic and Link linkers and mixing.
Protein-protein crosslinking can be achieved by the hydrazone method and thiol-maleimide method.
Thiol-maleimide method is commonly performed with a bifunctional linker, such as the commonly used
SMCC. However, SMCC-modified protein is extremely unstable and often self-reactive since proteins often
contain both amine and thiol groups that cause a significant amount of homo-crosslinking. The maleimide
conjugates can re-arrange, hydrolyze, or exchange in the presence of thiols/cysteine.
In the hydrazone coupling method, the conjugation reaction is based on a reaction between hydrazine and
aldehyde. This method is low yielding although a catalyst is used. The size of the molecule and
inaccessibility of the functional group contribute to low yield. In addition, linkage stability is an issue.
The novel technology of BroadPharm's MagicLink™ has been engineered to solves all the problems above
and allow rapid and quantifiable conjugation of all classes of biomolecules. MagicLink™chemistry and kit
and do not need TCEP, DTT, or catalysts at all!
First, two proteins are activated by MAGIC NHS ester and LINK NHS ester separately, and then the MAGIC
activated proteins react instantly with the LINK pre activated protein to yield protein- protein conjugates with a
stable ring linkage.
• Novelty: 3rd generation protein crosslink technology
• Yield: conjugation efficiency around 95-100%
• Rate: instant reaction; the whole process less than 1 hour
• Linkage stability: most stable covalent bonded conjugates on the market
• Consistence: good reproducibility from batch to batch
• Flexible: use your own protein-protein ratio
• Shelf life: long, stable freeze dried ship at ambient temperature
• Antibody selection: any proteins/antibody, antibody fragment
• Post-conjugation clean-up step not necessary
• Protein selection: any proteins/antibody, antibody fragment, fluorescent polymer such as BV 421, BV510,
BV570, BV605, BV 650, BV 711, BV 785, PE, APC, or amine modified oligo, oligo- BV tandem dye, oligo-PE,
oligo-APC conjugates, enzyme, oligo, etc.
Line M: Protein marker,
line 1: HRP,
line 2: BSA,
line 3 : BSA-HRP conjugates
MagicLink protein-protein crosslinking Kit is used to link 2 proteins together. The linkage can be in vivo and
• MAGIC NHS (MW ~900)
• LINK NHS(MW ~900)
• Protein concentrator
• Reaction buffer
Instruction sheet (PDF)